Monday, May 14, 2012

Bocra, Fil Mish-mish

                                         From: www.freepik.com

Bocra, fill mish-mish means tomorrow at apricot time. It's a way Egyptians say "Yeah, that's gonna happen." *snort*

I thought of it today as we waited for the plumber. He didn't show. Last week, we waited for the A/C guy ('cause, naturally, all the freon leaked out of my less-than-a-year-old unit). That guy eventually showed up -- three days late -- repaired a pipe, and left a hole around it so I see sky through the wall now. He said he'd be back to fix that, too. Uh-huh.

Yup, there's definitely a different sense of time here, a certain surfer-dude 'whatever' mentality. I wonder if it's all the sun? Maybe it really fries brain cells. Just in case, I'll stay in here, at the computer, and just look at the sun through my new little hole...


3 comments:

Kate Larkindale said...

Oh dear.... I hope he comes back to fix the hole soon, or the air-con will be kind of redundant. I think all tradesmen are like that, regardless of country. It's a requirement of the job or something. They say they'll be there at 9am, and you're still hanging around waiting for them at midday. Or they say they'll be there at midday, and you get a call at ten asking why you're not home.

Anonymous said...

As long as it doesn't rain, I guess you could use for fresh air... even if it is hot:) Like Kate said, tradesmen are the same everywhere.. never, ever on time, but they never call to tell you what's going on. Hope you get it fixed soon. I love the saying btw... is that because apricots don't grow in egypt? We have a lot of those sayings in Romania too:)

PK HREZO said...

Oh wow, that's frustrating. I guess they've got enough work that it doesnt matter, huh? So not the American frame of mind. In a way, it's kinda nice. Americans are too "right this minute" oriented.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...